The field had 2-3 inches of snow in the furrows between the beds, but the beds had all straw exposed. I would summarize the field’s condition by saying the majority of all beds were still well-frozen in the parts that were covered with straw. Parts where straw may have been applied too thin, was wind-blown, and had soil exposed, were a little soupy- about an inch of mud before I would hit hard ground again.
As I walked through the field I noticed an area where an animal walked through the edge of the field where their feet had uncovered two cloves. Both were well rooted, and plump looking, and had terrific root structure, and both had little nubs of green swelling at the tops, which I took as meaning that being fulling exposed for most of the winter with the mild winter we had didn’t affect them, and the should grow just fine...but I covered them both back up like the rest of their friends.
Overall, I was happy to see that the crop was still dormant, and feel 100% sure that having the mulch on right now is a good thing, so the plants sleep just a bit longer, as we will have a little bit of winter to get through yet!